Saturday, January 7, 2012

Neel starts with A for Ahiri and goes to D for Dhanyasi

My nephew is just 4 years and 10 months and is learning music, but he has not been taught Mayamma in Ahiri.  He has just heard his mother sing this difficult Ahiri krithi by Shyama Sastri. He doesn’t put taalam, yet starts at the beat, sing most of the sangatis, shows the swarupam of Ahiri and gives finishing touches to the song as well. He holds his breath to complete the long phrase, and even sings in mandra and thara sthayi. Dikshithar/Shyama Sastri songs are loaded with not so commonly used sanskrit words and he gets most of them right. Ahiri is not an easy ragam, but for him it seems like childs play.


We discovered him sing Mayamma by accident. We thought he was playing by himself in the living room, but we faintly heard a voice singing. At first my mother thought it could be someone on the radio or music from neighbors house, but when we came closer he was rendering Mayamma.
I definitely don't want to misuse or loosely use the word prodigy here. It is the power of hearing and kids repeat what they hear, be it Mayamma or Kolaveri di. During my morning prayers I stopped chanting Pancha Sooktham and made him sing this for the puja. The innocence in his rendition is what I loved the most. I didn't want to miss capturing and sharing such moments with you. Taking what we've been blessed with and offering back to almighty was the Trinity way. It doesn't matter if he doesn't become a performing musician, but I want him to sing with atmost devotion, the Trinity way.
Last night he was in bed and looked like he suddenly remembered Mayuranatham Anisam. He started singing loudly and I was in the other room and my mother didnt disturbed him and immediately called me from her mobile. I heard him sing the whole song and I was thrilled and moved. When he finished i opened the room and got him in my arms and gave him a big hug.  

I really don't know how many songs this kid has stored in his memory, but every song he renders excites me and inspires me.

No comments:

Post a Comment